Online Renewal Information
Save the $10 in-person fee by renewing online.
Is your address up to date?
Your address must be up to date on the vehicle you are renewing
to receive your new tabs.
(NOTE: If you update your address now you must wait
24 hours to renew your registration.)
Am I eligible for permanent registration?
If you are 65 years or older, disabled, live in an unorganized borough, or an organized borough that has elected for permanent registration please visit your nearest DMV to apply for permanent tabs.
If you already have permanent tabs (P, Z) you do not need to renew your vehicle registration.
If you have not used the DMV's online renewal system before, please read the following instructions before renewing:
ADDITIONAL REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Vehicles are registered biennially (every two years). Normally a vehicle is assigned an expiration date when the vehicle is first registered in Alaska and retains that month when ownership changes.
A vehicle that has been expired for less than a full year is charged the full biennial fee beginning with the month the registration expired even if an individual has just purchased the vehicle and the previous owner let the vehicle expire or the vehicle has been parked while it was expired.
The registration starts over when it has been expired for over an entire year or when the previous owner was exempt from registration fees.
PROCESSING TIME AND INFORMATION:
- You should recieve your registration and tab within 14 days.
- If you received a renewal notice, you may discard the notice when you receive your new registration and tab. Please sign the new registration before placing it in your vehicle.
- The registration and tab are mailed to the mailing address shown in DMV records.
- Your residence is required to ensure the proper fees are charged.
- If your registration is expired or due to expire within 14 days, you should print the confirmation page and carry that in your vehicle until the registration and tab arrives.
- If you renew more than one registration, they will arrive in separate envelopes.
- If you do not receive the tab and registration within 14 days, please E-mail ALASKA DMV and provide the following:
- license plate number of renewed vehicle
- current mailing and residence address
INELIGIBLE TO RENEW ONLINE:
- Vehicles expired over one year.
- Vehicles that require verification for processing (first time senior exemptions, military exemptions, amateur radio plates, vehicles requiring proof of heavy vehicle use tax payment, PRISM).
VISA and MasterCard credit cards.
DMV MAILING ADDRESS:
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W. Benson Blvd., Ste. 200
Anchorage, AK 99503-3600